Your Immune System and Chiropractic Care
Having a strong immune system is vital to your life and health. Without a properly functioning immune system you would have to live your life in a bubble (callback for all the Seinfeld fans of “The Bubble Boy” episode).
What Happens When Your Immune System is not Functioning Properly?
Your body’s immune system is responsible for your overall health. It is responsible for fighting off cancers, viruses, toxins, and the more common things like colds. Your body’s response even to something a small as a paper cut relies on a properly functioning immune system as well as the central nervous system.
Immune system disorders can hinder your body’s ability to properly handle a non-threatening foreign substance such as pet dander or pollen. When your body’s immune system is not functioning properly it can overreact and release chemicals, such as histamine, when sensing an allergen. If you are dealing with allergies, you can read more about how Kempsville Chiropractic can help with allergies in our article: Fight Allergies with Chiropractic Care.
Another common condition in which the immune system overreacts is asthma. In this instance, the overactive immune system causes inflammation in the airways (bronchi) in the lungs. The resulting constrictions can make breathing difficult.
Did you know drugs can weaken your immune system?
Most people are unaware that many drugs and medications can hurt their immune system. Many medications will dull the information your brain receives from your body, leaving you more vulnerable to infection and disease. Some drugs we see advertised on TV warn in the disclaimers at the end that they can have a detrimental effect on the immune system.
One of the great things about chiropractic care is it does not involve the use of drugs. Whether you’re dealing with pain or striving for better health, chiropractic care works without the use of drugs.
Autoimmune diseases occur when your immune system responses to an unknown trigger. Your body’s immune system starts producing antibodies that attack the body’s own tissues instead of fighting infections.
Examples of Autoimmune Diseases
- Graves’ Disease
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Type 1 Diabetes
Immune Deficiency Diseases
Immune deficiency diseases occur when you immune system is not strong enough to fight off infections, doesn’t react strongly enough to stave off disease, or possibly due to an immune system already suppressed by medications or an existing illness. In some cases, immune deficiency may be present from birth due to a genetic disorder (primary immune deficiency). Either way, your body is now more vulnerable to disease and infections.
Examples of Immune Deficiency Diseases
- AIDS / HIV
- Common Variable Immune Deficiency (CVID)
- Drug-Induced Immune Deficiency
- Severe Combined Immune Deficiency (SCID)
How Does Chiropractic Care Help the Immune System?
An optimally functioning immune system goes to what the core of chiropractic care is all about. While many associate pain with chiropractic care, remember pain only involves 10% of your nervous system. The other 90% is extremely important. That 90% is associated with all the functions of your body: breathing, digesting food, the function of your internal organs, the control of your muscles (voluntary and involuntary), your immune system, and everything else. Everything is controlled through your central nervous system which start at your brain, runs down through your spine, and from there throughout your entire body.
In the case of your immune system, chiropractic care is all about ensuring optimal communication between your body and your brain.
Your brain needs to know exactly what is wrong with your body so it can instruct your immune system to properly respond. Your central nervous system needs to provide unrestricted and unfiltered information your brain can respond to. How well your immune system reacts – or doesn’t react – to infections, disease, or any other foreign substance invading your body is based entirely on what your brain instructs it to do. The directions from your brain to your immune system are only as good as the information the brain receives.
When your brain receives partial information, bad information, or even no information, your immune system will not respond properly. Your immune system’s response could be too weak, too strong, or even attack healthy tissues in the case of autoimmune diseases. Your body will be more vulnerable to cancers, infections, allergy attacks, diseases, and other attacks by foreign substances.
Misalignments, or subluxations, in the spine will cause poor communication between your brain and your immune system. Subluxations can create pressure on, irritate, or even pinch the nerves in your spine. This restricts the free-flow of information regarding your body to your brain. Chiropractors restore that broken communication, through gentle adjustments that properly align your vertebrae, and allow your body to take better care of itself. With a properly functioning central nervous system your immune system will be better equipped to defend your body from disease and infection.
Anyone striving to be healthy should be seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis. It is the best way to ensure a healthy immune system. You should consult with your chiropractor to see how often your lifestyle requires your body to be adjusted.
Studies Prove Chiropractic Care Improves Your Immune System
- During the deadly flu epidemic of 1917 and 1918, patients receiving chiropractic care fared better than the general population. Chiropractic patients had a death rate of .25% compared with a 5% rate of those who didn’t. Those without chiropractic care were 20 times more likely to die from the flu epidemic.
- Psychology Today Online reported that a study by the National College of Chiropractic in Lombard, Illinois, found disease-fighting white blood cell counts were higher as soon as 15 minutes after chiropractic adjustments.
- The chief of cancer prevention research at New York’s Preventative Medicine Institute and professor of medicine at New York University, Ronald Pero, Ph.D., conducted a 3-year study with 107 individuals who had been under chiropractic care for 5-years or more. He found that chiropractic patients have a 200% greater immune competence than those who don’t have chiropractic care. This superior immune system response did not appear to diminish with age. When compared to cancer patients, and those with other serious diseases, the greater immune competence of chiropractic patients increased to 400%.
- In 1991, Patricia Brennan, Ph.D., led a team of researchers in another study finding that the function of phagocytes, the white-blood cells that go on search and destroy missions for the body, was enhanced in test subjects receiving chiropractic care.
- In 1994, a study showed that HIV positive patients adjusted over a 6-month period at the Life Chiropractic University were found to have a 48% increase in the number of CD4 cells (an important immune system component) as measured by the independent medical center supervising their medical care. During the same time period, other HIV positive patients at the same medical center experienced a 7.96% decrease in CD4 cell counts.
Call us at 757.467.5258 to arrange an appointment with Kempsville Chiropractic. Our doctors will consult with you on improving your immune system. Many of our patients see us on a regular basis just to ensure that their immune system and nervous system are performing optimally. If any of your friends and family can benefit from this article and a stronger immune system, please recommend this article to them.
- Do You Have a Second Brain? Your Digestive System and Chiropractic Care
- Fight Allergies with Chiropractic Care
© 2013-2016 Kempsville Chiropractic
These articles are the property of Kempsville Chiropractic. They may not be reused without permission. You are welcome to link to this article. Kempsville Chiropractic has been proudly serving Virginia Beach, Virginia; Chesapeake, Virginia; and Norfolk, Virginia since 1996.
The contents of this website are based upon the opinions of Dr. Lombardozzi. The information on this site is not intended as medical advice. The information contained on this website is a sharing of knowledge based on the experience and research of Dr. Lombardozzi and his staff. Dr. Lombardozzi recommends that patients make their health care decisions after doing their research and consulting with a qualified health care professional.
Contact us at 757.467.5258 to set an appointment.