Treating Sciatica and Sciatic Nerve Pain
Sciatica pain affects a lot of people every year. For most people, the pain starts in their lower back and radiates down one or both of their legs. Others experience the pain, numbness, or tingling just in their legs, feet or toes. Sciatica takes its name from the sciatic nerve, which is the longest and largest nerve in the body. The sciatic nerve originates in the lower back area know as the lumbar spine. The sciatic nerve contains five nerves which run all the way down into your toes. For this reason, some people experience pain, or a tingling running from their lower back, down their leg, and into their toes.
Sciatic pain has a lot of ways of getting your attention, but no matter how you experience sciatica you should identify and correct the root problem so you don’t continue to experience pain or develop chronic sciatica.
Some Ways You May Experience Sciatic Pain
- Lower back pain
- Buttock pain
- Numbness in your legs or feet
- A tingling sensation running down your leg, even into your toes
- Numbness or pain in your big toe
- A “Pins and Needles” sensation in your leg
- Weakness in your muscles
Naturally when you feel pain, you start to wonder what is causing it, and how it should be treated. For many people that means doing an internet search. No doubt if you have been searching the internet for answers you have seen recommendations ranging from taking medication, epidural steroid injections, to surgery. Obviously, surgery should be a last case solution for any problem.
So, let’s start with what sciatica actually is, and what causes it.
Sciatica is the pain that comes from the sciatic nerve being irritated, pinched, pressure on the sciatic nerve, or inflammation to the nerve and/or the area directly surrounding the nerve. As you can see, sciatica is a physical problem and not a disease. It is also something the chiropractors at Kempsville Chiropractic treat successfully on a daily basis.
By far, the most common cause of sciatica is a misalignment, or subluxation, in the vertebra of the lumbar spine (lower back) causing the sciatic nerve to be irritated or pinched. While it may be tempting to wait and see if the pain goes away on its own, or to take pain killers, I have to advise against that for several reasons.
- Taking pain medication does not correct the problem. It just masks the pain.
- If your spine is out of alignment, it needs to be gently restored to its proper position so your nervous system can function optimally. The nerves control the muscles and organs of the body.
- Once you have sciatic pain and don’t get it corrected, you will continue to have sciatic pain. Since only 10% of your nervous system feels pain, the sciatica may appear to come and go, but the root cause will have been left uncorrected. Subluxations left uncorrected will lead to spinal degeneration disease (osteoarthritis, disc degeneration, and disc bulges, protrusions, or herniation).
- If you do not correct the underlying problem of your sciatic pain, you can end up with more problems such as: constipation, erectile dysfunction, incontinence, menstrual problems, urinary problems, leg swelling or edema, and other problems.
Causes of subluxation (spinal misalignment) to the lumbar spine that can result in sciatica.
- Lifting an object incorrectly
- Poor posture (both sitting and standing)
- Pregnancy (the physical changes the body goes through can put a lot of pressure on the lumbar spine)
- Muscle strain and its inflammation
- A slip and fall
- Playing sports
Spinal subluxations, or misalignments occur regularly through normal activities. The chiropractors at Kempsville Chiropractic gently correct subluxations throughout the spine and neck on a daily basis. As chiropractors, our initial approach to dealing with your sciatica pain will be to identify the root cause of your pain and work to correct that. Once we have identified the underlying cause of your problem, we will work with you to correct your problem, not just mask the problem like pain medication does. Chiropractic uses gentle adjustments that allow your spinal to be properly aligned. This relieves the pressure from the nerves, allows the central nervous system to function as it should, and alleviates the sciatica pain.
In the process of identifying the cause of your sciatic pain, we will conduct any necessary exams. These exams can include: chiropractic, orthopedic, neurological, physical exams, and x-rays if needed. In addition to these exams, we also have non-invasive computer scans that will let us know exactly how your nervous system is functioning. While subluxations are the main cause of sciatica, there are other potential causes as well.
Potential causes of sciatica pain include the following:
- Subluxations or misalignments of the spine
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal the nerves run through)
- Disk degeneration
- Piriformis muscle spasm
- Disc bulge or disc herniation
- Tumor pressing on the sciatic nerve
Chiropractic care is the recommended first course of action for dealing with sciatica and its pain. As you can see, sciatica is not just something to ignore or self-treat with pain medication. The consequences of uncorrected sciatic problems can be very inconvenient — to say the least.
The doctors at Kempsville Chiropractic have been helping their patients deal with sciatica, correcting the underlying cause, and alleviating their pain for years. Call 757.467.5258 to arrange for a consultation with one of our doctors. If you or someone you know is dealing with sciatica pain, please recommend this article to them.
- Sciatica Pain in the Lower Back, Running Down the Legs
- Understanding Chiropractic Care and Your Health: The Lumbar & Sacral Spine
- Lower Back Pain
Sciatic Nerve Pain and Pregnancy
Accompanying all the joy and expectations that pregnancy brings, are the aches and pains that every mother wishes she could avoid.
It is very common for the expectant mother to experience lower back pain, or specifically — sciatica. Throughout pregnancy, great care is taken to make sure diets are clean and healthy for the baby. Dealing with pain is another area in which consideration for the baby is of the utmost importance. Chiropractic care allows you to avoid drugs while finding relief from sciatic pain.
Chiropractic care is a totally natural and drug-free practice which will benefit both the mother-to-be and her baby. At Kempsville Chiropractic, chiropractic care during pregnancy is important to us. If you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant, please read our article on Pregnancy and Chiropractic Care, and learn about the many benefits chiropractic care from our experienced doctors will provide during your pregnancy.
© 2013-2016 Kempsville Chiropractic
These articles are the property of Kempsville Chiropractic. They may not be reused without permission. You are welcome to link to this article. Kempsville Chiropractic has been proudly serving Virginia Beach, Virginia; Chesapeake, Virginia; and Norfolk, Virginia since 1996.
The contents of this website are based upon the opinions of Dr. Lombardozzi. The information on this site is not intended as medical advice. The information contained on this website is a sharing of knowledge based on the experience and research of Dr. Lombardozzi and his staff. Dr. Lombardozzi recommends that patients make their health care decisions after doing their research and consulting with a qualified health care professional.
Contact us at 757.467.5258 to set an appointment.